Monday 25 July 2011

Colour me, colour me not!



Painting is an easy and inexpensive way to add instant life to a room; albeit the colour you choose will have an impact on the mood you are trying to create.

Yes I know it can be a daunting process to choose the right colour - have you ever heard someone say "I loved the colour in the shop and once I painted the room I immediately hated it", Déjà Vu?


If you are not comfortable choosing it by yourself then you should hire a professional to help you choose the right colour scheme. Remember that nowadays interior design isn't only for the chosen few, plus how your room is designed and the colour you choose will impact the way you live and feel more then you will ever imagine.


If you are a keen DIY'er, follow these simple steps to help you make the right choice:

  • Shops can match any colour that you might find in a magazine, a piece of fabric, etc.
  • Choose a colour from a a paint swatch and then go a shade lighter.
  • Get a test sample and paint a test area before making the final decision. 


Remember that  the lighting in the shop is different from the lighting in your home so the colour will change - you must see it in the room and most important at various times of the day.


You have probably heard before that you should paint small rooms with light colours. Well I believe that a deep colour doesn't necessarily make the room look smaller in fact a small hallway painted a deep grey together with the right lighting will give the impression of a big space and it will make it look extremely stylish although I understand that it might not be everyone's cup of tea (husband now laughing because it is my ubiquitous phrase).


But if you are still not comfortable going alone then do get in touch - that's why I am here for!

So either by yourself or together with myself do go and be creative.

www.aguilarinteriors.com

Pictures via www.only-apartments.com, www.rubyrhino.wordpress.com
www.interiordesign-newyork.com, www.ucritsxw.wordpress.com, www.elledecor.com, www.marymcdonaldinc.com


2 comments:

  1. Love your background picture, wonderful patina on the wall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana Aguilar-Corney3 August 2011 at 14:23

    Thank you, it is a great picture. I suppose it was inspired by 'The King's Speech'.

    ReplyDelete